Along with eating well and getting enough exercise, good quality sleep is necessary for overall health and well-being. After a good night’s rest, we feel better – greater ability to function, have more energy, and are generally happier. During sleep, the body repairs and restores its tissues and the brain clears out toxins that have accumulated throughout the day due to its metabolic functions. Sleep also allows the immune system to reboot, helping us to fight off infections and disease.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 3 adults are not getting enough sleep on a regular basis. It is recommended to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep per night. For many who struggle with insomnia, this can be a challenge, to say the least.
Sleep is necessary for the body and mind to heal and recharge. Your brain requires sleep to process memories and make plans. It also clears out old brain cells and toxins while you sleep. If you are chronically sleep deprived, it has been shown that there is excessive clearing of old brain cells, a process that may lead to dementia. Insufficient sleep may lead to other physical complications, such as increased risk for diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
Fortunately, the combination of MerryHerb’s Calm Sleep formula along with some lifestyle modifications may bring some much-needed sleep for those who struggle with chronic, stubborn insomnia. There is much you can do to help you get a better nights’ rest:
• Create a peaceful bedtime routine that sends the signal to your brain that it’s time to wind down: take a warm bath, turn down the lights, light some candles, and most of all, turn off your television, computer, tablet, and phone. Blue light from screens causes your brain to produce less melatonin, the hormone produced in the brain that regulates sleep
• Relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation and deep, relaxed breathing will not only relax your body, but they also stop the release and even neutralize the chemicals that are associated with stress, relaxing the brain as well
• The best time for sleep, according to Chinese medicine, is between the hours of 11 pm and 7 am, following the circadian rhythms – physical, mental, and behavioral changes that follow the 24-hour cycle; also try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day – this programs the body and brain to expect sleep at a certain time
• Get some exercise during the day, but avoid strenuous exercise in the evening
• Reduce caffeine in the afternoon and evening, try warm water, warm milk, or a soothing tea such as chamomile or lavender instead
• Eat a light evening meal at least 2-3 hours before bedtime to allow time for digestion, and no snacking after dinner; a full belly may interfere with proper sleep
When you follow these suggestions and use the MerryHerb Calm Sleep formula, you should notice a significant improvement in your sleep within 1 to 2 weeks.