How to take care of acne-prone skin:
- Wash gently with pH-balanced sensitive-skin cleanser and warm, not hot water.
- Use your hands, not a washcloth to wash your face. Scrubbing with a washcloth can make inflammation worse.
- Wash your face no more than twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- If oiliness temps you to wash more often, wipe oily patches with a plain tissue throughout the day.
- Use water-based or oil-free lotions and gels containing alpha hydroxy acids ( AHAs ).
- Apply a sunscreen or moisturizer with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 every day.
- Avoid or minimize alcohol, hot spicy food, nuts, chocolate, shellfish and greasy food.
- When a breakouts occurs, don’t pick, pop, or squeeze. Squeezing your acne can press the accumulated debris more firmly into the clogged pore and increase the chance of inflammation. Picking at your acne can lead to permanent scarring.